Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A REAL Here's Your Sign Story.....

Okay..... admittedly, this one happened quite a while ago.... but I just had to share.

For the uninitiated, the Blue Collar Comedy Tour features several down-home comedians that have their own unique spin on comedy. My personal favorite is Bill Engvall. His main routine is "Here's Your Sign". The basic jist of it is the idea that stupid people should have to wear signs that say "I'm stupid".

Example -- "My wife and I were moving to California a year ago, our stuff's packed up in boxes and a U-Haul truck is in the driveway. Our neighbor asks, 'Hey, are you moving?' I just looked at him and said 'Nope. We just pack our stuff up once a week to see how many boxes it'll take. Here's your sign.'"

Another Example -- "I went hunting awhile back and got a nice buck. I had the head stuffed and mounted. Friends of ours were over one day and said, 'Hey, you kill that thing?' I just looked at him and said, 'Nope! He ran through the wall and got stuck. Here's your sign.'"

Well, here's MY "Here's Your Sign" Story.

A few years ago, I was driving for the local Yellow Cab. I was dispatched to pick up a student at one of the local hangouts and bring them to their residence on their college's charge account.

I was driving a bright yellow Ford Crown Victoria with 10-inch lettering that read "Yellow Cab" and a big yellow roof light that read, "YELLOW".

This student walked up to the cab and said, "Are you with Yellow Cab?"

After a moment of thought, I straightened up and looked out over the yellow-painted hood, leaned out the window to examine the lettering on the yellow-painted door, and said, "Nope! Stole the car and I'm joyriding. Here's your sign."

The student, in turn, produced a cell phone and started dialing. Puzzled, I asked, "Ma'am, you DID call for a taxi, didn't you?"

She replied, "Stay where you are, I'm calling the cops."

Believe it or not, she actually believed I was serious about stealing the car! How do some of these kids even graduate HIGH SCHOOL, much less get into college?

So just out of sheer morbid curiosity, I wait 10 minutes for a cop to show up. He knew me, so when he asked me what the problem was, I said, "Ask Buffy The Vampire Slayer over there."

After he talked to her, the girl walked away with a strange expression on her face. Either she'd figured out how stupid she was, or she didn't believe him. He came back over shaking his head and said, "I know it was a stupid question, I know it was funny. But please don't do that again."

Then he laughed all the way back to his cruiser.

No comments: