Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Open Mouth, Insert Foot.......

Okay, so last night I'm hanging out in a convenience store, talking to the clerk and one of the other customers. A driver from a new company that was started three years ago comes in and gets into the conversation.

We get to discussing business, and the guy mentions that with tip, he usually gets the same thing for a trip that I do. This is interesting, considering that most of the other drivers say that I'm ripping customers off.

So I ask him what the difference is if he gets $40 with tip and I get $40 from the meter price. He says, "I earn my money."

"Oh, so you're saying I don't EARN my money?" I asked.

"No, man, your money's guaranteed." Uh, isn't that the whole point of being in business for myself?

I had three options at that point. I could point out that he didn't know beans about the business, and that his company was trying to muscle out the smaller owner-ops like myself that were in business LONG BEFORE that company was ever around, I could do my damnedest to knock him out, or I could walk away before it got out of hand.

In the end, I chose to walk away. You can't argue with an idiot, especially one that thinks they know everything. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience. Besides, contrary to when I go off on my blogs, I am a lot more professional than that.

No comments: