Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Ashes To Ashes, Dust To Dust....

If not for Fords, our tools would rust. Anyone who owns a Ford, no offense, but I am speaking strictly from my own experience, and I am tired of sinking money into my Mercury (a Ford by any other name, would break down as often)

I bought the Marquis with 148,000 miles, and it now has 216,000 approximately. In just under 70,000 miles in 2 years time, this car has cost me $7000 to repair, with $2200 spent on the air conditioning system alone! The entire system was just disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt for the second time this week, and quit again after four days. A 1997 Crown Victoria I owned previously had similar results before it was sold for parts.

By comparison, the 1990 Chevrolet Lumina I bought with 130,000 miles before this car, cost me only $2300 to repair in the same amount of time and mileage. The only reason I got rid of it was the timing chain broke and caused severe engine damage, and I knew the car would need another $2000 worth of work in the coming year. Looking back now, I should have kept that car and fixed it.

Granted, the Mercury was 12 years old when I bought it, but the Lumina was 15 years old. I will NEVER buy another Ford Motor Company product. EVER. Not even its subsidiaries, Mazda, etc. I think my next taxi is going to be a Chevrolet Astro passenger van.

No comments: