Tuesday, May 26, 2009

More Idiotic And Narrow-Minded Thinking......

Okay, you all know by now that my primary business is running an independently owned and operated local taxicab service. Here is yet another story to illustrate how some people don't use their head for something besides a hat rack. We are all entitled to our opinions, but some people base their opinions on precisely the wrong aspects of the situation. Case in point......

About the time that the Democratic nomination for the 2008 election was still up in the air, a group of yahoos get in my taxi one night. The subject of the election comes up in the conversation, of course. They ask me if I think the country is ready for a black president, to which I replied I don't really look at that sort of thing, I decide based on whether I think the candidate will serve the common good (yeah, right, since when does the U.S. government do that?)

One of the yahoos seemed shocked at the revelation that Osama (I mean, Obama -- Did I say that out loud?) was black, or part black, whichever the case may be, and asks, "Is he really black?"

Another yahoo said, "Well, he's black enough."

Amazing. Simply amazing that some people are still that ignorant in this day and age. Does anyone know when we will all wake up and realize that blood is red, no matter the color of the skin it flows beneath? There are good and bad people in every walk of life and every race.

Too many people generalize based on their (very limited) experience. I have my own opinions about the presidential candidates, again, based on my (limited) experience in hearing their position on issues, etc. But does this really matter when the ELECTORAL COLLEGE is what really decides the president-elect?

Seriously people, that system has rendered the people's popular vote worthless. I, for one, still plan to vote, but I know in the back of my mind that our votes don't really decide the election. Since becoming of age to vote, I have seen at least two elections in which the president-elect did not win the popular vote. Food for thought......

No comments: