Tuesday, May 26, 2009

You Don't Need Sense To Go To College, Just A Lot Of Dollars

Tonight's incident made me think of a lady who did exactly the same thing a few months ago (when gas was still over $4.00 a gallon, mind you).

Since she was a soon-to-graduate law student, she wanted to make a federal case about the fare being higher, after tipping a little over $1.50! I explained to her that rates are not regulated in the area, and that I actually make money on the fare, whereas other cab drivers do not.

I then proceeded to explain to her that costs had more than tripled since the last real change in meter rates in any one company was made, that I had seen insurance double from one year to the next, and that fuel had more than tripled."Well, that's not something you can just arbitrarily pass on to the customer," she snapped.

I just looked her in the eye and said, "Well, ma'am, maybe I don't understand the nature of being in business for myself, but I always thought it was to make a profit."

I then handed her the tip back, to which she said, "No, you keep that."

To which I said, "You must need this more than I do, ma'am. You gave more than the fare and then complain about the fare. That's pretty stupid, don't you think?"She said no more, just got out.

No comments: