Tuesday, May 26, 2009

So You Think This Job Is Easy?

Okay, so I'm thinking it's going to be a mediocre night. Airport steady, but not busy. Came into the city to pick up a few more to top off my night and make it worthwhile.

A group of people flagged me in the downtown area, going nearly to the next small community west. Good fare.And most of the group was actually pretty nice. The guy in the passenger seat started making a federal case of the fare about a half-mile before they got where they were going.

Now, this is the strange part. He had already rubbed me the wrong way, and I had a feeling he was going to be a problem, so instead of the 10% discount I give most people (that don't complain and whine, mind you) I gave this guy 5% instead.

Keep in mind I don't HAVE to discount anything. It's a customer appreciation thing. And if he hadn't opened his mouth in the manner he did, he would have gotten the 10%, as he already gotten on my nerves. If I'm going to listen to a lot of bitching, I'm going to make it worth my while.

Now, the fare on the meter was $31.25. I told him $30.00 would cover it. He hands me $40.00 and asks for $6.00 back. Then, after having tipped me $4.00 over the fare I charged, proceeds to say, "This is higher than any cab I've taken, I'll never take you again." Which was fine enough. No problem there, that is his choice, right? Then he continued, "Fuck you very much."

He walked away, all smug, like, "I guess I showed him." Until I called him back to the car. I then peeled off four one-dollar bills and handed them to him.

"What's this?" he asked.

"You must need this more than I do, sir," I replied. "Have a nice night." And then I drove away. I hope someone speaks to him like that every workday this week. Then he'll know how it feels.

No comments: