Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Get A REAL Job, You Say?!!!!

Okay, I have had quite enough of people telling me to get a "real" job, already. First off, what makes you think my job is any less important because it's not something that you would do? So I drive a car for a living, while you push papers and make phone calls. That doesn't make you any more important.

Case in point -- I have a friend who went to school for ten years or more, getting multiple degrees and certifications in computers. And probably ran up $200,000 - $300,000 in student loans in the process. I was happy for him when he landed a job in New York City, since it sometimes is referred to as the "capital of the world".

Then I found out he was working for $15.00 an hour, and limited to 35 hours per week. In Manhattan, where rents are typically $1000 or more. Thus, he has to live outside of NYC, with a commute taking probably an hour or two out of each day.

Then he switched to another job in NYC that started at $500 a week plus benefits. I thought it sounded good until I hear he's working 50-60 hours a week and I couldn't get in touch with him. Really, what's the difference? At least before, he had a life outside of work. Now he has no money AND no life. And people tell me this is a REAL job? At least I LIKE what I do. I've got a feeling my friend is going to get fed up real quick.

I don't do any worse in the cab, and I didn't go to school for ten years to get a driver's license or a hack license. So who's smarter, really? Nobody. We all do what we have to do to make a living, so think about what you're saying before you tell someone else to get a REAL job.

Oh, and by the way, I'm my own boss. I don't have to cater to office politics, or he-said, she-said drama typical of an office setting. I make my own hours, and I don't have to worry about losing my job if I don't hit the streets at a certain hour every day.

And for those who say that driving a cab is not work, I challenge you to get a hack license and try it for a month. Until you do, shut the hell up.

No comments: